7.8.13

wow! its baby time!!


If the title for this post got you all excited, and you think I'm having another baby, I do apologise!! I'm not. Not really up for 9 months of vomiting and enormous weight gain yet again!!!! Not to mention, another actual person to be a mum to. No, I'm happy (and at my current limit) with my gorgeous two kidlets.

But.

A lot of my friends are at the moment, lots of little bubs and pregnant women everywhere! So I'm getting into the very serious/fun business of handmade gift making for all these little people entering the world. I'm knitting, sewing, cutting, pasting and writing. ..you name it! There is something very special about tiny people, and I love celebrating them with handmade goodness!
One of my dear friends is expecting her first baby any time now. She doesn't know the sex of the baby (or is very good at keeping secrets!) so I liked the idea of making a gender neutral gift with a whole bunch of fabric scraps I had. You can never have enough play mats for your little one so I whipped up this upcycled one using fabrics I had lying around.
(do you like my baby "model?")

Most of the fabric in this quilt is quite special to me. It's really lovely passing it on to others in a new form. This little patchwork is made up using fabric from my own children's cot sheets and clothes, vintage pillowcases, material bought in markets on overseas trips and more. I like that this little playmat comes with a bit of a story.

What do you like to give to friends who are expecting!!??

Mezz xx


20 comments:

  1. Oh Mezz, you tease - the title did have me going! ;)

    I like to give children's books to expectant or new parents. The charity shops in the UK are really good as you know and you can pick up a veritable library for a future bookworm for not much money at all. I also like to give a copy of Annabel Karmel's Baby and Toddler Cookbook to new mums - such sensible and practical recipes and advice. Not that I have had much chance to put it into practice of course ;)

    This quilt you've made looks like a beautiful gift for a baby, so personal and meaningful. I do have a hard time understanding why people spend SO much money on baby stuff when you can produce something as nice as this. I'm sure your friend will love it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry philippa! no, no baby news for me!! I agree, books are a great gift! I like giving books written by Australian children authors..mem fox, Pamela allen etc. I agree, people spend a fortune on baby stuff, ive had two and never understood why! x

      Delete
  2. Oh Mezz I so love what you have done, how very special to gift this to your friend. I personally always try and make gifts for any occasion, babies, birthdays, Christmas, you name it and I really so enjoy doing this. There is something very special about spending time making something for someone you love and I think this little parcel says it all. Well done you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there is nothing better then giving/receiving handmade!! I wish I had more hours in the day, I would do I even more often!! x

      Delete
  3. You are so very incredible to pass on your own special sheets and blankets from your own children, I don't think I could do that so I admire you doing it. I am going to save mine for when my grandchildren come and then pass it on that way. I love what you've done and the color combinations that you have used.
    Have a great rest of your week,
    Tammy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i dont have much space in my little home, so im sure part of my ability to 'let go' of stuff isnt so gallant, just neccesary!

      Delete
  4. I just love these little baby play mats.....some very lucky babies there Mel! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous work Mezz, I'm sure your friend and her new bundle of joy will just love it ~ Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special gift...well done i am sure it will be well treasured by the new baby and family. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's absolutely gorgeous, love it! And yes, so true, you can never have enough playmats.

    Did you vomit for the whole 9 months too? Awful isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, both pregnancies.horrible!theres almost 5 years between our kids, i think a few ppl wondered about the gap..i just couldnt face pregnancy again for quite a while!im unfortunatly not one of those pregnant lady who glows and radiates, i tend to look grey and seedy...augh.the pay off though for me is that as soon as the kids were born i felt like a million bucks.breastfeeding agreed with me, thats when i finally glowed! and felt like a radiant blessed mama xx

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful, special quilt! A gift for your friend to really treasure. I love giving handmade gifts but especially handmade baby gifts.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that playmat is utterly divine I love it. So thoughtful a meaningful that it incorporates such special pieces of fabric linens in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those quilt are GORGEOUS. I have eight (!) friends who are all due to have babies in the next few months so have been frantically making baby things. Makes me super clucky just looking at all the soft wool and baby prints!

    ReplyDelete